Stroke is a loss of blood circulation to a certain area of the brain, resulting in loss of brain activity corresponding with a loss of neurological function.
There are two types of stroke: ischemic, which accounts for about 85% of strokes, and hemorrhagic, which accounts for the remaining 15%. (The focus here is on ischemic stroke.)

Ischemic stroke is most often caused by a blockage (thrombosis or embolism) in the blood vessel (Fig. 1). The blockage may result from various diseases such as intra- or extracranial atherosclerosis, vasculitis, carotid artery dissection, sickle cell disease, right to left shunts and more.


Rimed’s Digi-Lite

Digi-Lite Transcranial Doppler (TCD) is a high sensitivity and specificity diagnostic and follow-up system that supports the neurologists’ decision regarding the appropriate treatment for the stroke patient. Digi-Lite helps to diagnose the stroke subtype due to its multi-gate feature. The system can pinpoint the exact location of the occlusion or the origin of emboli in the major intracranial arteries to reduce the use of angiograms, and it can be used to monitor and follow the effects of treatment.


With Digi-Lite and Digi-Lite IP+, physicians can detect — with more than 90% sensitivity — extracranial lesions in the carotid arteries due to carotid artery atherosclerosis, by measuring the lesion itself, observing the proximal and distal branches related to the lesion, and examining the interconnecting branches related to development of collateral flow.


Furthermore, the Digi-Lite TCD is used for diagnosing patients with a risk of stroke to begin prophylactic treatment, when relevant. These are patients diagnosed with intra- or extracranial stenosis greater than 50% (Fig. 2). TCD examination detects it easily due to the profound effect of stenosis on flow patterns and the vasomotor reactivity test, which can detect abnormal cerebral endothelial function.